Pioneer Park was settled in 1847
and is known as the "Old Fort" settlement. It
was the first permanent Anglo Saxon settlement in the West.
Old Fort stood in the ten acre
park from 1847 through 1849 as the first Mormon
settlement. 160 families and over 1700 people went through
the square in the first two years. The first school was
built on the property.
Sometimes called the
"Plymouth Rock of the West, homes were erected out of logs
or adobe side by side with the rear walls forming a protection
barrier enclosed by a nine foot mud wall.
By December 1847, over 2000
people were living in the fort which was extended one block
north and one block south.
The fist school convened on the
grounds October 1847.
|A bowery, built in the
center, served as a meeting place. Within its
walls Anglo Saxon civilization was brought to the Great Basin
and the ensign of our republic raised over this domain, then Mexican
territory. Here on December 1848, the first petition to
establish self government in the Rocky Mountain west was
signed and it became a public park on July 24, 1898.
Three woman came in the first company of
pioneers: Harriet Page Wheeler, wife of Lorenzo D Young; Clara
Decker, wife of Brigham Young; Ellen Saunders, Wife of Heber C.
Kimball. During the rugged journey the services performed
by these heroic women were of incalculable value.
The children who journeyed with
the fist company of pioneers were: Lorenzo Sobieski Youg, age
six, son of Lorenz D and Persis Goodall Young, and Isaac Perry
Decker, age seven , son of Page Wheeler Decker Young. Both
boys proved themselves courageous and helpful during the
historic trek across the plains.